How to be Goal Oriented

You’ll only reach the top by goal setting. goal setting

There are a couple of things the Americans do better than the British, one is goal setting – the other is eating more burgers. Self development and goal setting is something that is starting to be embraced by British people, young and old.

We should embrace failure in the way that the Americans do. A failure is one step closer to success, as they say and it’s completely true. The amount of people that make it first time is minimal, is usually down to luck and having experienced people around them to ensure they don’t make the same mistakes that they did.

Goal setting is a powerful way to progress your life and achieve things that you never thought were possible. The goal with goal setting is to create goals that are stretch you to your limits but are achievable.

Achievable: Complete a triathlon in 6 months time.

Not achievable: Complete an Ironman triathlon in 2 months time.

Achievable: Make a million pounds by the age of 35.

Not achievable: Create a individual flying machine patent with no experience in engineering and sell it for a million pounds within the next 3 years.

Here are some of our favourite quotes on goal setting:

A goal properly set is halfway reached.

Abraham Lincoln

One of the amazing things we have been given as humans is the unquenchable
desire to have dreams of a better life, and the ability to establish goals to
live out those dreams.

Jim Rohn


Our goals can only be reached through a vehicle of a plan, in which we must
fervently believe, and upon which we must vigorously act. There is no other
route to success.

Vincent van Gogh

The best thing that we can recommend doing right now is to find a pad of paper (preferably a brand new notebook) and brainstorm your most ambitions long term goals. Although it might sound strange, the key to writing them is to write them as though you have already achieved them. This way, your subconscious mind will not know the difference between the goal and reality. You will therefore go out to accomplish the goal.

An example…

“I am thankful for the 5 bedroom house that I live in, on the East Coast of Australia. It is gorgeous looking out to see the sea every time I wake in the morning!”

or

“I am thankful that I am able to work and travel wherever I want, due to the perfect freelancing business I have created for myself.”

For short term goals, you can write in a similar style but you need to plan out your goals in a much more methodical manner. By keeping goals on top of your mind, you allocate your time chasing these goals, rather than spending time on meaningless activities.

If you really want to be in the top 5 or 10% then you need to spend your time thinking about and planning your goals. The remaining 90% of people will be spending their time wondering watch on TV. You’ll be miles ahead of them.

Tell us some of your goals below, we’d love to hear them.

Add Comment